This theme aims to foster in students an appreciation and understanding of mark-up languages as an important part of digital publishing. Because of the importance of mark-up languages in digital publishing, this theme also introduces hypertext markup language (HTML), cascading stylesheets (CSS) and extensible mark-up language (XML), an important standard for managing digital copy. Finally, students are familiarized with the electronic publication structure (EPUB), which they will use as a guideline to producing their own ebook.
After completing these workshops, you should be able to:
- Describe mark-up languages in general and justify their role in digital publishing
- Describe XML, HTML and CSS; and justify their roles in digital publishing
- Mark up basic documents in XML, HTML and CSS
- Describe a Document Type Definition (DTD)
- Demonstrate knowledge of the International Digital Publishing Forum and its premise
- Describe EPUB, Kindle and PDF formats
- Become familiar with ebook conversion and create an ebook using the EPUB framework
Please see ClickUP for all practical instructions.